Classroom Christmas party

I am the room mother for my son’s class this year so I was in charge of the Christmas class party. I had about an hour and a half to fill.

First we made snowflake ornaments out of cardboard tubes and pipe cleaners.

This is the one my son made.Jan. 6 002

The kids could pick how many edges/petals their snowflake had, what color pipe cleaners and what color glitter.

I took pictures of each kid with their projects. We put the glittered snowflakes in a ziploc bag so that is why they look a little funny!Snowflake collage

This project worked out really well. I let the kids punch their own holes in the cardboard if they were able, otherwise, the teacher and I went around and helped. I got the idea from here. We didn’t have time to paint the cardboard so we used stick glue and dipped the edges in colored glitter. If they missed spots, they just applied more glue and redipped. If you have lots of time, the kids could paint the inside and outside of each tube to dress it up a little.

We played a few games including an unscrambling game and a see-how-many-words-you-can-make from the unscrambled word’s letters. The kids also did a snowball drop race that included putting on large gloves and carrying a styrofoam  snowball on a plastic spoon across the room and dropping it in the bucket and returning the gloves for the next player to use.

Then, with the remaining time, the kids made Christmas trees out of waffle cones, frosting and candy.

Christmas Trees

They had a lot of fun making – and eating candy! while making the trees. We used rope licorice, mini M&Ms, Skittles and the colored mint chips with the white sprinkles on. Of course, I took extra so everyone could munch at the same time!

They also had cupcakes and puppy chow for their snack so they could take their trees home to show their parents. The cones fit perfect in the bottom of a large plastic solo cup. So they took off the marshmallow and grabbed the tip of the cone to put it in the cup, put the marshmallow back on and then put plastic wrap held with a rubber on the top. Hopefully everyone’s make it home safely!

It turned out to be pretty successful for my first (but certainly not last!) venture for a Christmas party as a room mom. Next party is for the teacher’s birthday in February!

TQ Jo signature

Advertisements

Kids Nativity Cardboard-Turned-Wood Stable

Like most everyone right now – it has been hectic around here with the holiday!

This year I was in charge of our church’s Children’s Christmas program. I found a really cute rendition of the nativity story. It involved narration by the oldest kids – 4th graders, and the parts were played by mostly 1st-3rd graders. A few larger parts – like the angel Gabriel and King Herod were played by the older kids also. The kids did an awesome job and it turned out great.

I hope to do a few posts showing the props and plays made and used for the play.

Our church hasn’t done the nativity for awhile so it involved quite a lot of costumes and props. The only thing I didn’t have to come up with were the 3 angel robes.

It would’ve been much better if I had pictures of the play actually in motion but I don’t have permission to show the kids faces and I was very busy helping kids get dressed and directing traffic so – no pictures. I hope to get the DVD that they take just so I can see what was going on from the perspective of the congregation.

I took this picture at the dress rehearsal before the kids got there.misc 015

My husband and I stopped at our local furniture store and picked up some cardboard boxes to make the stable out of. I actually had to glue 2-3 layers together to give it some strength because I needed to use the flaps etc. to make it large enough. I made it using 4 separate pieces. The roof is not attached so that can be lifted off and the sides folded in so that it lays flat as small as possible. I thought I would be able to fit it in our Ford Explorer with the passenger seats folded down –but it was too wide! On to plan B in which my husband and I both had to go to town – one with the Ford Explorer and one with the Ford F250 with the tarp on. The back “wall” is 5’x5’, the side “walls” are 2’ wide with a tapered height – 5.5’ down to 5’ to allow for the slant roof. I used zip strips to connect the sides with the back leaving enough room for the sides to fold in. The roof is 8’ tapered down to 6’ in the back and is 3’ wide. I added a 4” edge around the front and sides. I used zip strips to connect the sides with the back leaving enough room for the sides to fold in.

Painting it – I found a blog that showed how they painted cardboard to look like wood – so I loosely followed that. (Sorry I can’t remember where it was!) Instead of painting it all black to start with as they did, I just measured out every 4” and drew a pencil line which I used to loosely paint black strips over. I then went back with a  watered down brown and covered some areas and not others. The white paint I used was also watered down. I dabbed in the mixture, dabbed off on a paper towel and drug it down to look like wood grain, adding knots randomly as I went.

I ended up with a star-on-a-star because the first one I cut was too small. I made a bigger one and then thought I could just as well glue the other one to it! I added a triangular shape to attach it to the star and to the roof. This was tied on with twist ties so I can take that off and store it separately also. I just used craft paint to paint the star.

This was quite a labor intensive project, but very inexpensive. I was pleased with how it turned out and it held up through the dress rehearsal and the service of the play.

TQ Jo signature

Linking to the following:
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special Domestically Speaking Beyond The Picket Fence